The Texas History Challenge Official Rules
By using this website, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to be legally bound by these Official Rules and are eligible to enter the competition under these Rules. If you do not accept any of these Official Rules you are not authorized to use this website or otherwise participate in this Challenge. The word “use” is understood to include, but is not limited to, any direct or indirect access or interaction or exchange of data with this website, including participating in this Challenge.
1. GENERAL: NO PURCHASE OR DONATION NECESSARY. All applicable federal, state, and local regulations govern this challenge. The sponsor of this Texas History Challenge (“Challenge”) is the Texas State Historical Association, a U.S.-based non-profit organization (“Sponsor”).THIS CHALLENGE IS VOID IN CUBA, IRAN, NORTH KOREA, SUDAN, AND SYRIA AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW, REGULATIONS OR CUSTOMS. Participants are responsible for complying with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and with these Official Rules, and by entering, participants agree to be bound to these Official Rules. By entering this Challenge, you consent to receiving communications from Sponsor, an affiliated entity or corporate partner from which you can unsubscribe at any time.
2. ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter this Challenge AND be eligible to win a monthly prize and/or other prize, at the time you enter you MUST NOT reside in Cuba, Florida (U.S.), Iran, New York (U.S.), North Korea, Rhode Island (U.S.), Sudan, Syria, or any other jurisdiction where participation is prohibited or restricted by law, regulations or customs. In the event that laws, regulations, or customs in your jurisdiction either do not permit or impose limitations on the access to the contents of this website, participating in competitions and/or awarding prizes (“Restrictions”), you shall immediately discontinue access or comply with any such Restrictions (as the case may be).
Employees and volunteers of Sponsor, its advertising and its promotional agencies, its national partners and each of their respective parent entities and subsidiaries, and their respective officers, directors, members of their immediate families, and the members of the same households of such individuals are not eligible. The term “immediate families” includes spouses, parents, siblings, and children. No groups, clubs, or organizations may participate in this Challenge or reproduce or distribute any portion of these Official Rules to their members. Sponsor will not award a prize to anyone not meeting eligibility requirements at the time of entry.
3. HOW TO ENTER AND WIN: By entering, you agree to comply with all applicable laws and these Official Rules, and you agree to abide by all decisions of Sponsor. All times in these Rules refer to U.S. Central Daylight Time (CDT). The Challenge entry period begins when you register. Log into www.texashistorychallenge.com for an opportunity to win the prizes offered each month and for a chance to win other prizes. Only one (1) entry per email address and only one (1) entry per person. Entrants must be the registered subscriber of the email account from which the entry is made. You may register once. Multiple entries received from any person or email address will void all such additional entries.
To participate, log into www.texashistorychallenge.com and look for the monthly quiz questions found on the Dashboard page. Each month, the participant(s) with the most total points from correctly answering the most questions will be eligible to win the monthly prizes. The eligible Challenge participant verified to have the most points at the end of the month, will be eligible to win the Texas History Challenge monthly prize.
The contest period for the month begins at 12:01am on the first day of the month, and ends at 11:59pm on the last day of the month. All times in these Official Rules refer to U.S. Central Daylight Time (CDT).
4. ODDS: Odds of becoming a monthly winner and/or other prizes recipient depend on the number of persons participating and on the ability of participants to correctly answer questions in a timely manner or successfully engage others in the Challenge as a teacher. Odds related to prizes that are not for the highest score depend on the number of persons participating and on the category and type of the prize.
5. CHALLENGE PRIZES:
Monthly Prizes: Monthly Prizes: Each month during the Challenge Period, the highest scoring eligible participants verified as having the most points will win one of the possible prizes. In the event of a tie during a particular month, the winner will be determined by a random drawing to break the tie. If other prizes are given, refer to the website for details and information.
All expenses and incidental travel costs not expressly stated in the prize description above, including but not limited to, transportation, meals, incidentals, gratuities, passenger tariffs or duties, airline fees, taxes, surcharges, airport fees, service charges or facility charges, personal charges such as alcoholic beverages, spa services, and internet usage, security fees, taxes or other expenses are the responsibility solely of the prize winner. TRAVEL MUST BE COMPLETED BY TERMS SET BY PRIZE DONOR, OR PRIZE TRIP WILL BE FORFEITED. All Challenge prizes are awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either expressed or implied by Sponsor. In the event that any prize item is unavailable, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize item of equal or greater value. No substitution of a prize or transfer of a prize to a third party is permitted and a prize cannot be redeemed for cash value.
6. PRIZE VALUES: The approximate retail value of each prize will vary and be available upon request.
7. HOW TO CLAIM PRIZES; RISK OF FORFEITURE: Winners will be notified via email. It is the responsibility of each winner to ensure that he or she has provided Sponsor a valid working email address throughout the Challenge Period. Sponsor will notify each winner by email of the details for claiming each prize. The Prize winner has seven (7) days from the date Sponsor sends an email notification to reply. If a person contacted for the Prize is unreachable after seven (7) days, or if that person is unavailable to claim the Prize, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may select an alternate winner. In the event the selected winners or a companion are/is ineligible or refuse(s) any prize or, if the selected winners or companion fail to timely claim the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may select an alternate winner (time permitting), or, where permitted, may elect not to award such prize to an alternate winner. Any prize offered in this Challenge will be forfeited if not successfully claimed within one week of the date the Sponsor sends initial notification.
8. RELEASES; POTENTIAL TAX LIABILITY: Prize winners and travel companion must complete and execute an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release. The Prize winner cannot bring a travel companion under the age of majority in the travel companion’s jurisdiction of residence unless (i) the Grand Prize winner is the companion’s parent or legal guardian and (ii) as such, the Grand Prize winner also signs the liability indemnity provided by Sponsor on behalf of the minor companion as a condition of receiving the Prize. To meet U.S. Federal Tax regulations, to be verified each winner and each travel companion of prizes valued more than $600 who is a permanent legal U.S. resident must also present his or her U.S. Social Security Number. Prizes may be considered income, and taxes on said prizes are solely the responsibility of the winner. Compliance with all regulations is solely the responsibility of the winners and any travel companion. Compliance with any health or government requirements is the responsibility of the Grand Prize winner and any travel companion. It is the responsibility of the Grand Prize winner and any travel companion to inquire about local travel issues and conditions at the selected destination before travel. The Sponsor makes no representation as to the safety, conditions or other issues that may exist at any destination.
9. LIABILITY/PUBLICITY RELEASES: Except where prohibited, entry in the Challenge constitutes each entrant’s consent for Sponsor and/or an affiliated entity to use, publish, reproduce and distribute for any purpose, including publicity, promotion and advertising, in any media (including without limitation, print, Internet, television, radio, and offline), each winner’s and trip companion’s name, city, photograph, likeness, biographical information, voice, or image, each in perpetuity without further compensation, credit, or right of review or approval. Winners and any trip companion are required to sign and return appropriate forms and/or documentation, including, without limitation, an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and/or where legally permissible a Publicity Release prior to receipt of prize. Failure to sign and return such forms within the requisite timeframe may result in disqualification of the winner and forfeiture of the prize.
This Challenge is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with either Facebook or Twitter. By submission of a Challenge entry, a Challenge entrant releases Facebook and Twitter from any responsibility or liability for the Challenge’s administration, prizes or promotion. You are providing your entry information to the Sponsor and not to either Facebook or Twitter.
10. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: WINNERS, TRIP COMPANION AND ENTRANTS AGREE, EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW, TO RELEASE AND DISCHARGE, HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY SPONSOR, AND ALL OTHERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT AND EXECUTION OF THIS CHALLENGE, FROM ANY AND ALL TAX LIABILITY THAT MAY BE IMPOSED OR ASSOCIATED WITH RECEIPT OR USE OF THE PRIZES, AND FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, ACTIONS, PROCEEDINGS, AND LIABILITY (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STATUTORY DUTY OR OTHERWISE) FOR ANY DIRECT OR INDIRECT DAMAGES, EXPENSES, FEES, INJURY OR LOSSES (INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH) SUSTAINED IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF OR ACCESS TO THIS WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE LINKED TO THIS WEBSITE, RECEIPT, OWNERSHIP, OR USE OF ANY PRIZE OR WHILE TRAVELING TO, PREPARING FOR, OR PARTICIPATING IN ANY CHALLENGE-RELATED OR PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY. Sponsor is not responsible for any printing, typographical, mechanical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Challenge or in the announcement of the prizes.
11. POSSIBLE SPONSOR ACTIONS: If for any reason, the Challenge is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, and unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, acts of God, war, terrorism, government regulation, disaster, fire, strikes, civil disorder, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity of the Challenge. Sponsor reserves the right in its discretion to disqualify any individual it believes has tampered with the entry process or Challenge administration, and/or cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Challenge and to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. Entries that Sponsor believes, in its sole discretion, to have been generated by a script, macro or other automated means or that are incomplete, illegible or corrupted are void and ineligible and will not be accepted or if accepted will be disqualified. Sponsor retains the discretion to make all decisions regarding the interpretation and application of these Official Rules. All decisions of Sponsor are in its sole discretion and are final.
12. NO ASSUMPTION OF TECHNOLOGY RISKS: Sponsor (i) assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in acquisition, operation or transmission of, communications line failure relating to, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; (ii) is not responsible for any problems relating to or technical malfunction of any communications network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or communications service provider, computer or other equipment, hardware, software, failure of any entry information to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on any communications system, on the Internet or at any website; (iii) does not warrant that this website or any materials or information downloaded from this website are free from any virus, spyware, Trojans, worms or other malicious, destructive or corrupting code, agent, program, or macros, or will not cause damage to any data, program or property; (iv) is not responsible or liable for any losses or damages arising out of any changes, variations or modifications made to the contents of this website by unauthorized third parties; and/or (v) is not responsible for any combination of the foregoing, including any direct, indirect or incidental injury or damage to the participant’s or any other person’s computer or other device related to or resulting from accessing, participation, downloading or use of any materials in this Challenge.
13. PERSONAL DATA: The Sponsor respects the privacy of your personal information.
By providing Sponsor with your personal and other information received by Sponsor for the purposes of reviewing this website or participating in the Challenge, you hereby consent to the following:
(i) Sponsor may use and share your information with other affiliates, members and partners of Sponsor (in and outside of the United States) to help Sponsor and them:
process, record, execute, monitor, and/or archive your online requests and transactions;
prevent and detect crime;
update Sponsor records;
solicit and record your opinions and feedback through online surveys and feedback requests if you choose to participate.
(ii) Sponsor may disclose your personal and other information to other affiliates, members and partners of Sponsor (in or outside of the United States), but your personal and other information will not be revealed by Sponsor to other third parties except:
where Sponsor has your consent to do so;
where Sponsor is required or permitted to do so by any law, regulation or order of court or other duty;
where Sponsor may transfer the rights and obligations under this agreement; or
to other companies who provide a service to Sponsor or you, including:
(a) third party service providers who host and manage data from this website; or
(b) regulators, lawyers, auditors, consultants, any agent or subcontractor acting on Sponsor’s behalf and Sponsor’s affiliates, members and partners.
To the extent it is necessary for these third parties to provide their services to Sponsor and its affiliates, members and partners or you, and for no other purpose, you also expressly agree that such third party entities may process and manage your personal information in other jurisdictions, and/or transfer and host your personal information to data centers in other jurisdictions.
(iii) In providing your address, telephone number, facsimile number, or email address, you agree that Sponsor and any of its affiliates, members, and partners may contact you by mail, telephone, facsimile, or email. However, if you indicate with your submission of information that you do not wish to receive any promotional material from us, no promotional material will be sent to you.
(iv) By providing Sponsor or otherwise this website with information, you acknowledge and agree that due to the international dimension of Sponsor, we may store, process and use personal data collected in the course of our relationship, and provide that data to other affiliates, members and partners of Sponsor outside your resident jurisdiction. By providing us with information, you specifically consent to the transfer of data containing such information outside of the country or jurisdiction where it was collected for the purposes described in these Official Rules.
(i) If you do not accept the Terms of this Section 13 relating to personal data, please do not provide us with data or information.
(ii) If you would like to check or correct the information we hold about you, please let us know on the tshaonline.org website.
14. OFFICIAL RULES AND LIST OF WINNERS: To receive a copy of these Official Rules, visit texashistorychallenge.com or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to TSHA Texas History Challenge Rules, 3001 Lake Austin Blvd., Ste. 3.116, Austin, Texas, 78703, USA. These Official Rules supersede all other published editions. Sponsor reserves the right to change, alter, or amend these Official Rules as necessary, in its sole discretion, to ensure the fair administration of the Challenge or to comply with applicable law. For a list of the Winners’ names, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to TSHA Texas History Challenge Winners, 3001 Lake Austin Blvd., Ste. 3.116, Austin, Texas, 78703, USA.